Thursday, December 2, 2010

(A Lot) More on Anwar Al-Awlaki


Benjamin Wittes, a national security law expert at the Brookings Institution, has posted an extensive response to my post earlier today about the debate surrounding Anwar al-Awlaki, the radical Al Qaeda propagandist with American citizenship who is supposedly hiding out in Yemen. The Obama administration has reportedly targeted al-Awlaki for death.
(Before I launch into all this, I want to thank Wittes for taking the time and energy to respond and engage. I've really enjoyed the back and forth.)
To recap: I accused Wittes of using a straw man argument to attack the position of the American Civil Liberties Union and the Center for Constitutional Rights, two groups that are suing in the hopes of getting a court to restrict the circumstances under which the government can order al-Awlaki's (or another citizen's) death.