Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Prince William interview: 'I had been planning it for a while'


By ITV, AP
Prince William said in a British television interview on ITV this afternoon that he "just decided it was the right time" to pop the question to Kate Middleton while "on holiday" in Kenya.
"We'd been talking about marriage for a while so it wasn't a massive surprise," he said. "I had been planning it for a while. It really felt right in Africa. I had done some planning to show my romantic side."
Added Kate, "It was a total shock and very exciting."
Said William: "I was carrying the ring around for three weeks in a rucksack before that. And I literally would not let it go, wherever I went."
He added that having the engagement be made public finally is "a real relief."
Kate says the ring - which was Princess Diana's engagement ring from Prince Charles - is "beautiful. I just hope I look after it. It's very, very special."
When the interviewer told the couple they looked calm, William replied, "We're like ducks. So calm on the surface, but little feet going crazy underwater."
By Sang Tan, AP
Was it love at first sight?
"When I first met Kate I knew there was something very special about her," he said. "We went through a few stumbling blocks like any other relationship, but we picked ourselves up." He added, "I'm obviously extremely funny and she loves that." Kate chuckled at that.
"When you go out with someone you go through the good times, the bad times, you can really learn things about yourself," she said of their 8-year relationship.
As for Wills taking his time, Kate said, "We've had our conversations."
"We were planning it for at least a year, if not longer," said William. "Kate wasn't in the dark." He needed to finish his military training. "We both decided now was a really good time."
Is the Princess Diana legacy intimidating? "I would've loved to have met her," said Kate. "She's an inspirational person to look up to, this day and looking forward at things."
William noted, however, "It's about carving her own future. No one's trying to fill my mother's shoes."